Saturday, May 3, 2008

Our first annual Walk for Wishes was a success...

Here is "Team Michael"


From left to right: Aunt Patti (my sister), Uncle Bubby (my brother-in-law), Kait (my great-niece), Jenny (my daughter), Ralph (my future son-in-law), Michael of course, Brian (my son) and me.

We made the trip to Syracuse early this morning to participate in the 3rd Annual Walk for Wishes. Michael wasn't feeling well when he got up but really wanted to go to the walk, so off we went. We were a little confused as to exactly which park the walk was in but finally found it. There were lots of teams there to raise money for this great cause.

They called for all the "Wish Kids" to come forward so Michael went to the front of the pack with the other kids. Then he stood right next to the mayor while he cut the ribbon that signalled the start of the walk. (We didn't get a picture but I am going to search the local news sites to see if I can find one and then I will link to it.)

It was a beautiful day. The trail where we walked followed Onondaga Lake, which is very picturesque. The weather was perfect - not too hot, not too cold. It had rained before we got there but the sun was shining brightly by the start of the event. Michael had fun splashing in all the leftover puddles.

Afterwards, the organizers had drinks and snacks for everyone. There were also some people there doing face painting for those that were interested. Michael got an octopus, Kait got a heart with wings and Jenny got a flower. All in all, it was a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

I want to thank everyone again for helping us to raise over $1,500 for Make-A-Wish. One of the first things the volunteers from Make-A-Wish told us was that they expected nothing in return for Michael's wish. But, we were really happy to give something back to this wonderful organization. And, to help them continue to grant wishes to children in our area. Please keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers, JoAnne

P.S. I know I haven't mentioned Michael's wish in a while but it is still in the planning and approval stages and I don't want to spoil the surprise until we are sure of the details. (Let's just say - they did find Darby.) Also, someone (not associated with Make-A-Wish) went to a lot of trouble to make Michael's dreams come true. I will post the details and pictures of that later in the week.

No comments: