Friday, May 2, 2008

I have a riddle for you...

How do you make the doctor and all the nurses in a pediatric oncology unit come running?

Give up? - You start coughing and wheezing while receiving your chemo medicines.

And we found that out the hard way today. Michael was sound asleep and about half way through his Carboplatin when he started coughing and couldn't catch his breath. I rushed to the nurses station and told his nurse, Aileen, and she came running with several other nurses right behind her. They immediately stopped the Carbo and hooked up a large bag of saline to flush Michael's system. Then one of the nurses went to page the doctor that Michael saw today (Dr. Kennedy wasn't available and I can barely pronounce the other doctor's name so I know I can't spell it).

One nurse listened to Michael's lungs and said that he had some minor wheezing. Michael's ears were also the brightest red I have ever seen. The doctor came in and said that he was okay to receive the rest of his medicine so they started the Carbo again. A while later Michael's cheeks and nose turned bright red and started itching but his breathing was back to normal. And they measured his oxygen saturation level and it was 98% so I guess he was okay.

Other than that little bit of excitement, it was a pretty routine day. It was just Michael and I today since Daddy had to work. Michael got to look through the microscope again to see his blood (so did I). This time I had my camera with me so I can share it with you.

You may also notice Michael's latest haircut. It seems where his hair had thinned and is growing back in is a lot lighter than it usually is. In fact, from a distance, it almost looks like his head is shaved. I wonder if that is how it will be from now on. (There are a number of blonds in Jeff's immediate family.)

Britney (the child life specialist) came into the treatment room to say hello to Michael and then went out to get all the nurses. They had gotten him some birthday presents and had planned to sing "Happy Birthday" and surprise him but by the time they came back to the room, Michael was out. (He fades fast after getting his Benadryl.) They told me to bring the presents home for him but I want Britney and the nurses to give them to Michael and for them to see him open them. So we left the presents there and they are going to give them to him before the Benadryl next week.

First thing tomorrow morning we will be heading to Syracuse to participate in the Make-A-Wish Walk-A-Thon. "Michael's Team" is meeting here at 7 am and then will head down together. There will be Michael, Brian, Aunt Patti, Uncle Bubby, Kaitlyn and myself going from here. Dad was going to join us but has a cold and is not feeling well and Jeff is working a 12 hour shift. And then Jenny and Ralph are coming from New Jersey and will meet us there in the morning. (They are going as far as Ralph's parents in Binghamton tonight.)

I want to thank everyone that has supported us with donations. I'm happy to report that we exceeded our goal of $1,000. There is still time to help us support this wonderful organization - the link to our webpage is to the right. I will post some pictures tomorrow night. Please keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers, JoAnne

P.S. I added a picture of Michael's injured finger to the post before this one. I tried to do it the other night but couldn't get it to load. (I'm pretty sure it was me and not the computer.) I will warn you, it is not for the faint of heart. The picture is graphic and ugly. So please don't scroll down if that sort of thing bothers you.

No comments: