Wednesday, February 27, 2008

We may have a future olympic swimmer on our hands...


Michael started swimming lessons at our local YMCA tonight. I have included a picture (left). It isn't the greatest picture but it was so warm in the pool area, my camera lens kept fogging up.

Michael did great! He had a lot of fun and I think he is going to be a natural. He acted sad when it was time to leave and his instructors thought something was wrong until he said he just wanted to keep swimming. We have been trying to get him into lessons since he was a baby but this is the first time they offered them at a time we could make. They have always been weekday mornings, when we are at work.


We have some hopeful news. According to the parents in my support group, children on the same protocol that Michael is on have a tendency to have their hair thin but not fall out completely. Although it is not a guarantee, it is encouraging. We thought once it started thinning it wouldn't stop until it was all gone and that isn't necessarily the case. Michael's sister, Jenny, is getting married this summer and we are looking forward to having some nice family pictures taken. (I know in the scheme of things, that is not that important but it is something little we are looking forward to.)

There is some exciting news, too. The Make A Wish Foundation has offered Michael a wish and we have accepted. We have been assigned 2 wish granters and they will be contacting us to set up a time to come and talk to him. Jeff & I have no idea what he will wish for but we are sure it will have something to do with construction trucks, fire trucks or trains. We are very happy for him and anxious for him to tell us what he wants. I will keep everyone posted on the process.

I understand I made quite a few people nervous when I didn't post last weekend - I promise not to do that again. I was just very down for a couple of days and everytime I started typing, I thought my posts were depressing so I would erase them. I promise not to scare anybody again. In the meantime, please keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers, JoAnne

No comments: