Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I'd like to tell you about some of Michael's oldest friends...

Michael has a group of friends that are there for him whenever he needs them - through thick and thin. They came into his life when he first started showing the symptoms from the brain tumor and he didn't understand what was happening to him. They are "The Invisible Animals That Live in His Pocket". They are a great bunch - all 19 of them. There is one crazy bird named CooCoo, and the other 18 are all named Rocky and they are Wolves, Giraffes, Dogs, Snakes, Iguanas (a few of each). Whenever Michael finds himself in a situation that makes him nervous or scared (and there have been too many to count over the last year and a half), his animals are right by his side to help him through whatever the situation is.

And they aren't just there for Michael. A couple of weeks ago, Michael and Daddy pitched a tent and had a sleepover in the living room so I had the whole bed to myself. When I commented on that the next morning, Michael piped up and told me that I wasn't alone - that he had sent his animals in to keep me company so I wouldn't be afraid. I was happy to hear that. Especially considering they took up much less room in the bed than one full-grown husband and one restless little boy.

I don't know how long this menagerie will continue to live in Michael's pocket as he mentions them less and less. But, for now I am glad they bring my little boy some comfort during moments of stress. And they also act as a signal to me to know when Michael is feeling a little worried.

Please keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers, JoAnne.

No comments: