Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dog tales...

Michael decided our four legged house guest needed a name and we should call her Big Dog. She slept soundly on Michael's bed with him until the wee hours of the morning. When Michael made his nightly trek into our room, Big Dog was right on his heels and she promptly settled into Chance's bed.

I was really concerned that Michael would get too attached to her but he was fine when we took her to the SPCA early Saturday morning. He was just worried that her "real" family was looking for her. Actually, it was Jeff that became very attached to the dog in the short time she was with us . We talked about keeping her if we couldn't find her family but, to be honest, I am glad it didn't come to that.

As soon as we walked in the SPCA, the guy working there said he recognized Big Dog (her real name is Harley) and that she was a "frequent flyer." Apparently she escapes from her owners on a regular basis and whoever finds her brings her back to the shelter. That means if we hadn't found her family and had adopted her, we probably would have spent a lot of time searching for her. (And that is stress I just don't need.) So, for now Big Dog is back with her family and we are looking for a new member to add to our family.

Jeff and I both love Golden Retrievers and we know they are a good dog around children. We have been in contact with a couple of groups that rescue dogs -one in Connecticut and one in Tennessee - that currently have golden mix puppies looking for forever homes. These groups have networks of volunteers that transport the dogs so getting one brought closer to us shouldn't be an issue. I'll let you know if one of them works out.

I have to share a funny story about our trip to the SPCA yesterday. Michael LOVES cats but I am deathly allergic to them so we can't have one. Michael really bonded with one of kittens waiting to be adopted at the shelter. He asked me if when I die, will I still be allergic to cats and I told him that no, I wouldn't be. We had told him that when you die, whatever was wrong with you goes away and you are all better. That in heaven, Chance's legs are all better and that she is happy running and playing with all of the other dogs. So Michael turned to his father and asked, "When Mom dies, can we get a cat?" I would be offended except Jeff told him they could just trade me for the cat and Michael got upset and said he would rather have me. (Phew - that was close.)

Now on a serious note - Michael isn't feeling well today. He was fine all weekend but when he woke up from an afternoon nap, he started complaining that he didn't feel well and was very tired. He can't be more specific on why he doesn't feel good but he does have a low grade fever of 99.6. Since his temperature is below 100, I 'll keep a close eye on him and call Syracuse first thing in the morning to see what they think. I know his counts were very low last week so I am a little worried. I will keep everyone posted. Please keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers, JoAnne.

No comments: