Monday, January 12, 2009

There is an end in sight (and other good news)...

Jeff and Michael made the trip to Syracuse without me today. (Although, I have to be honest - I may have been here physically but I was with them mentally.) Jeff said everything went smoothly and that Michael's platelets are back up over 200,000. Apparently, Dr. Kennedy was pleased with the speed which Michael's counts rebounded.

Jeff said that Michael told Dr. Kennedy that he had that "funny feeling" the other day but forgot to tell Jeff & I about it so I am not sure what to make of that. I think only time will tell if this is something we need to be concerned about or not.

For now, my little buddy just finished a banana split and is cuddled on my shoulder watching Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers. I don't think it will be too much longer before he is sleeping peacefully for the night. Hopefully he has a good night and doesn't wake up sick.

With today's treatment, Michael is now on a break. He doesn't go back for chemo until Friday, February 6th and that will be number 8 in the countdown to the end of treatments. It's hard to believe it has almost been a year since we started this part of our journey and that it will soon be over.

When Michael woke up this morning, he said to me, "Only nine more treatments and then no more needles every week." I guess it is understandable that he will be the most excited of all of us to see the end of chemo.

We go to Rochester next Tuesday night for Michael's next MRI on Wednesday and our appointment with Dr. Korones on Thursday. Until then, please keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers, JoAnne.

No comments: