Friday, October 16, 2009

I have been remiss in posting medical updates ...

I noticed I haven't posted any medical "news" in awhile and thought I should catch up.

A couple of weeks ago, Michael went to see his pediatrician, Dr. Swan, for his annual checkup. She thinks he is doing great and it was great to see her (she is still my hero). It was also time for Michael to get a couple of vaccinations.

Unfortunately, when the nurse came into the room with the needles, Michael had a complete panic attack! For a little boy who has had in the neighborhood of 75 needle "pokes" over the last 2 years with nary a complaint, his response was very unexpected and totally heartbreaking. Once they were done though, Michael calmed right down and admitted that it wasn't as bad as he thought it was going to be.

Then, last Thursday, the 8th, Jeff and Michael made the trip to Syracuse for Michael's last antibiotic infusion. That means Michael has been off chemo for 6 months and all of the chemo drugs should be out of his system. We are going to Rochester the first week in November for Michael's next MRI and if everything is stable, his port can come out anytime after that. And since I am in a constant state of worry about his port, I will be thrilled.

For instance, Michael loves playing soccer and his favorite position to play is goalie. Two Saturday's ago, Michael stopped the other team from scoring by taking a soccer ball to the face. The poor thing dropped like a stone and the coach thought he was out cold. But, he got right up and finished playing the game. Of course like all parents, my heart stopped and I was holding my breath until I was sure he was okay. Unlike most parents (who would have been upset that their child took such a hit to the face), all I could think was "Thank God it didn't hit his port."

Shortly after school started, we received a letter from the school's occupational therapist. She said she noticed some deficits in Michael's fine motor skills and recommended she work with him to see if we could refine those skills. She doesn't think it is serious and isn't even recommending we do any special testing at this point. But she is aware of Michael's medical history and thinks we should be proactive as opposed to reactive.

After I calmed down and started breathing normally again (okay - I admit I overreacted but after all this is something neurological we are talking about), we agreed to let him go to the special classes. He actually loves it! They do crafts and play games and after each class he looks forward to the next time.

But in light of this development, I have made an appointment to see his neurologist when we head to Rochester next month. And while we are there, I intend to restate my arguments on why we should try taking Michael off Tegretol.

I talked to Dr. Swan about it, and she agrees with me that trying to wean him from the medicine with the understanding that we would put him back on it at the first signs of seizures is a good idea. She also pointed out that Jeff and I are the parents and the decision is ultimately ours and not the doctor's. "Yes" I told her but doctors have a way (intentional or not) of making you feel like a rotten parent if you go against their advice. (Remember the surgeon that implanted Michael's port?) Keep your fingers crossed that I can be persuasive this time.

I guess that is all the news for now. Until next time, please keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers, JoAnne.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael remains in my prayers. As a parent of a daughter (Bishop) with the same diagnosis, I completely understand the extra fears you may have. I am glad Michael is doing well and look forward to reading positive updates on his progress.

May God Bless,

Allison Mikaelian - Bishop's Mom
www.caringbridge.org/visit/bishopmikaelian

Susie from Bienvenue said...

I am just so exicited about the great report on my little buddy. He is still in my prayers...Hang in there Momma...I think the worry will never end...it's just a Mom thing..{{{hugs}}} Susie