Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Did you hear ...

... about the six year old boy that was suspended for taking a knife-fork-spoon utensil to school? Well, last weekend Michael found a swiss army knife that belongs to Jeff and was fascinated with it. So, I thought it would be a good idea if we have a discussion on how taking something like that to school would be a big no-no. It went something like this:

Me: "Hey Buddy, you know that knife of Daddy's you were carrying around last weekend?"

Michael: "Yes."

Me: "You know not to take anything like that to school, right?"

Michael: "Yes Mama. Why?"

Me: "Well there is a little boy the same age as you who took a camping utensil to school and he got in big trouble because it was against the rules. And now he can't go to school for a while"

Michael: "Oh." (He thinks for a minute.) "Why can't he go to school?"

Me: "Because the rule says that if you bring something to school that could be considered a weapon, you get suspended. Do you know what suspended means?"

Michael: "Yes. Dad told me."

Me: "Good. We don't want that to happen to you."

Michael: "Don't worry, Mama. I got in trouble in Kindergarten for taking a screwdriver to school and I won't do that again."

Me: "Ouch." (That is from the pain in my neck from whipping my head around so fast to look at Michael.) "You took a real screwdriver to school? When?"

Michael: "Last year and the teacher told me not to do it again, so I won't."

Me: "Well, good. I am glad we had this talk."

And, since Michael has carried tools around since he first learned how to walk (although they are usually toy ones), I am extremely grateful that Michael's school apparently has a lot more common sense than that of the little boy in the news.

Please keep Michael in your thoughts and prayers, JoAnne.

No comments: